We know many of our supporters are thinking of the staff working on the front line of COVID-19, and looking for ways to support. We want to help too. That’s why we’re launching this appeal so that together, we can support our hospitals and heroic NHS staff during this undeniably challenging time.
Our NHS staff work incredibly hard to go above and beyond the call of duty every day. They are the lifeblood of our hospitals and our community, and we're in awe of their extraordinary resilience. But in the face of COVID-19, the biggest health crisis in many generations, they will be stretched beyond measure. It's time for us to show our NHS staff the support they've been showing us for 72 years.
Supporting staff has always been at the heart of our work as a charity. We've worked with wards and departments to fund a range of projects and initiatives across King's, including:
- £1.75m towards the King's Helipad, which has drastically reduced the time it takes for staff to transfer the most critically ill patients from the air ambulance to the trauma centre
- Strengthening the King's Volunteering Programme, which equips staff with the additional support of over 600 volunteers each year
- Sponsoring the King's Stars awards programme, which recognises staff for the work they do in providing exceptional care for patients
Through the Hospital Heroes Fund, the Charity is raising emergency funds to provide additional care, support, and wellbeing for staff during this undeniably challenging time.
In addition to the staff wellbeing hubs, now established at King's College Hospital and the Princess Royal University Hospital (PRUH) for staff to take a break and decompress, Charity funding is also helping to provide:
- Care packages including toiletries and beauty products including shampoo, toothpaste, shower gel, hair brushes, and other basic essentials to enable some much needed self-care in their rare moments of respite
- Art installations featuring uplifting messages of support from the community, for hospital staff to read while they're at work
- Instant cameras for staff to take a photo of themselves to create a badge, enabling patients to see what the person caring for them looks like behind the PPE mask and still see a reassuring and comforting smile
- Specialist hand cream for staff whose hands are cracked and raw from relentless hand washing
- Access to a cash fund for staff to help with providing transport to and from the hospital at all hours of day and night
- Ongoing emotional and psychological support for staff to help them cope in the face of difficult, traumatic circumstances
- Text books and induction materials for student nurses who are graduating early and joining Team King's
The Charity is also supporting vulnerable patients, by providing:
- Care packages including toiletries and other creature comforts that their loved ones would ordinarily bring in for them, but aren't able to on account of isolation requirements
- Radios, personal DVD players, puzzles, games, and books to entertain, distract and help combat boredom
- Access to tablets, mobile phones, and charging facilities for patients to connect with the outside world
- Aromatherapy diffusers on the wards, which staff say can really help to calm patients down
- Food hampers for patients who would otherwise be returning home to bare cupboards after being discharged from hospital
We know this is a tough time for everyone, but if you could support us today it would make a world of difference. You can also leave a message of support, which we will share with our King's heroes.